Monday, February 3, 2014

Oh! The noise, noise, noise, noise!

It is so calm and quiet in our house right now.  I can hear Baxter breathing as he's laying in my arms. I can hear Ford's train wheels as he rolls them back and forth on his bed.  I can hear Rachel opening her studio to draw which means Ruby is asleep.  Nap time and bed time are so quiet.  I am able to actually think (or sleep!).  We've made an effort, though, at Ingram School to get rid of as much excess noise as possible.  With anywhere from four to six people making regular old noises and/or talking, we've got enough noise!  So, we:
1.  Try not to have toys that make noises on their own (i.e. anything with batteries!)
2.  Don't have a TV on for no reason at all (if a show is on at this house, the kids are silent!)
3.  Don't talk on the phone very much.  It's hard enough to have conversations with people in the room!
4.   Try not to have other things going on so that we can focus on these kids.  Sometimes that means not multi-tasking, sometimes that means not having other people over, sometimes that means just waiting on the laundry or dishes!


My stress level increases and my patience decreases when the volume goes up.  One of the top three rules in our house is, "No Interrupting.". My head swarms when all three kids who can talk do it at the same time.  Throw in a crying baby and we're in crazy land!!!  Things go more smoothly when one person talks at a time, the kids make the noise instead of the toy, and the screen time is reserved for when I truly need a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment