Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Building the alphabet one letter at a time

All 3 students have been working on their letter books and are at the letter "Ii".  I thought this would be an easy one...always jinx myself!  Yesterday we built houses out of H by cutting and pasting.  Today we were in kind of a hurry, so I thought we'd just practice writing the letters since we spent so much time on writing yesterday.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be so much harder!  Ruby wanted to write the capital I was one line which made it look more like a Z.  She did not want to pick up her pencil to make three different lines!  Her lower case i, though, was excellent!  Ford did okay, but he was more concerned with getting on to math where he already knew that 4 + 4= 8 and 5+5=10.  In fact, he wanted me to know that he already knew that 10+10=20 and that doesn't come for a LONG time in our book!!  Rachel made such a messy row of upper case I that she told me herself how bad they were!!  Her second row was much better and her little i seemed just fine.  She started her final lesson in her math book today.  Crazy!!  Rachel and I together talked about the parts of the plant and colored a sunflower and labeled the main parts.  We'll look at each part more closely over the next few weeks.  She wants to plant sunflowers this weekend like she did last year, so I think that will be a good project for her.  We've also been doing poetry together.  We talked about alliteration today and she wrote her own, "Rachel reached for a rainbow."  I was so proud!  I seriously taught 8th graders who couldn't grasp that concept!!
We played a lot of Peter Pan today...did a little iPad time so they could check on their Littlest Pets...took some books back to the library...and had some errands to go run.  We're on Hollilfield Baby Watch as Vanessa nears her due date.  Every day when Rachel wakes up she asks, "Did Vanessa call in the middle of the night?  Does she have a new baby?"  That girl loves a baby!!!  
I can't believe tomorrow is May!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment