Friday, April 12, 2013

Baking Bread

We didn't have any bread today.  Well, technically, we had the two end pieces to our loaf, but I know three kids who aren't going for that!  I really didn't want to go to the grocery store this morning but I knew we needed something to smear our peanut butter and/or egg salad on.  I'm trying my best to buy groceries once a week and finish those groceries.  I spend a lot less money when I only go one time and don't go back for more.  Let's face, "I just need bread." turns into "I could also use this and this and this while I'm here." So, instead of packing everyone in the car and heading to the grocery store where we would all fight over touching things and who gets to ride where, I decided it would just be a whole lot easier to make my own loaf of bread.  (And did I mention that today makes the second day this week I haven't taken the car anywhere which really adds up on saving on gas!)
The recipe I have for bread is simple and most people have the ingredients handy in their pantries, so here it is if you're stuck without bread at home:

1 1/2 cups hot water
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 TBSP sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 TBSP butter
1 package yeast
3 cups flour (our family actually prefers wheat flour for this recipe)

-Dissolve yeast in hot water and let sit for a few minutes
-Melt butter, add it with milk, sugar, and salt to the yeast
-Add 2 cups of flour and mix
-Add the rest of the flour a little at a time until it's sticky but doesn't stick to your hands
-Knead for 10 minutes (I do this in the Kitchen Aid)
-Shape into a ball, put back in bowl, cover and let sit for an hour
-Roll into rectangle shape, roll up and put in buttered loaf pan (seam side down), cover and let sit for an hour
-Bake at 400 for 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment