Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Trying something new

We got things started off on another crazy, not going so well kind of day this morning, so I decided to scrap what we were doing and do something new.  We had several errands that we could possibly do and I thought it might be good to get everyone in the car and put on their favorite CD and have some calm down time.  We stopped by our church to drop off a letter with our minister about the possibility of starting a Daisy Girl Scout Troop this fall.  Rachel and I are so excited!  Then we got some gas, mailed a letter, and picked up some supplies for Allen to take on his beach trip this weekend.  We also decided to venture out to the library where we love to get books but haven't ever been to for story time.  I have to say, I felt a little bad about it (especially considering we saw Mr. Jason going into the preschool at our church).  I figured it's not technically cheating, though, right?  We're just trying out a different story time.  We got there about 20 minutes before it started, so we checked out literally 30+ books.  They just really have such a good organization to their books and the kids can find things so easily.  I started noticing that the place was getting pretty crowded and it was very full of grandmothers and very small kids.  There was only one other mother there and I quickly counted 20 kids but even more than that came.  This library is a lot smaller than ours, so 20 kids in a small space compared to the 5 or 6 in our large space was becoming a little overwhelming.  Rachel did a good job introducing herself and helping Ruby find a place to sit.  Ford, no surprise, stuck to me and sat on my lap.  The lady read two books, but we couldn't hear them because she kept having to tell everyone to sit down and the kids around us were not being good listeners.   (FYI:  Grandmothers don't get on the floor with the kids at story time and with the exception of one REALLY LOUD grandmother, no one was telling the kids to be quiet.)  We decided to skip the craft after the story because it was in another room and it was pretty chaotic getting all of those people through a tiny hallway.  We checked out our books and on the way out the door, Rachel said, "I think our library is better than this one."  I totally cringed because the librarian heard her and had no idea that what she really meant was, "I don't think this story time went well."  I talked to her outside about how that was something we needed to share with each other in the car and not make comments when we don't like something in front of the people who are in charge of it.  She honestly had no idea that was not a nice thing to say.  Anyway, as much as we love checking out books, I'm glad to know that our story time is just fine and even when it doesn't go so well, the kids are comfortable there and have made some good friends and best of all, I can take Ruby to the potty without worrying about them while I'm gone.  I also have to mention that the grandmothers at our library go out of their way to be kind and introduce themselves when someone new comes.  Not.one.person spoke to us or introduced themselves to us this morning.  Kind of crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment