Tuesday, April 16, 2013

More tragedies

I don't even know what to say about the bombing at the Boston Marathon, other than, it reiterates to me how important being home with my family is.  I know that might sound crazy to connect a tragic attack with being a stay-at-home homeschooling mom, but I'm just getting tired of other people in the world.  Other people who can end an innocent life or lives so tragically.  When did it become unsafe to go to the movies or visit a mall or even run in a race?  Why are people out to destroy innocent, helpless victims?  The tragedy in Newton, CT happened the day of Ruby's 2nd birthday and it was just so heartbreaking.  Why did that man feel the need to end the lives of innocent children whom he had never even met?  I'm not saying that by homeschooling I will be sheltering my kids from this kind of violence because it might happen in a public school.  What I want to say is that by being with them more, if something tragic were to happen in our lives I would feel good knowing that I spent as much time as I possibly could with them and helped them to become whoever they are going to be and didn't leave it up to other people.  I don't want to waste a minute of seeing their smiles and helping them get through their frustrations.  I know we can't keep tragedy from striking, but we can do the best we can with what we've been given.  To me that means to take my skills as an educator and a mother and enjoy the time I'm given with my children.
We were fortunate enough today to spend time with Ms. Lisa and Dr. Ed, two people who inspire me as well as Allen to be the best parents we can possibly be.  They love our children so much and are basically a third set of grandparents to our children (though they would prefer "aunt" and "uncle").  I love the fact that we were able to just go out to their house and take a nature walk and enjoy seeing a Mama Goose laying on eggs in her nest while a Papa Goose stood watch.  We were able to walk the labyrinth and watch butterflies.  We played trains and Legos and dolls and had a picnic.  The best part about it all was that we had no agenda, we weren't rushed, and we didn't feel like we needed to be anywhere else in the world.  I think about the fact that my kids will learn so much more from these two special people about how to be good people and be kind to others and have a great character and I wouldn't trade that for one second of desperately hoping that my kids get the "right" teacher and are around the "right" kids in school.  I want to choose the role models for my kids at this age so that I can, in turn, hopefully steer them toward finding their own role models who are also of good character and sound mind.  I am tired of everyone trying to fit into what is normal in the world these days and I'm definitely tired of tragedy being the normal.  It's time to do something in this country to make it more important to teach kids right from wrong and to teach them to be kind to others.  That's the most important education my kids need.

No comments:

Post a Comment