Friday, August 9, 2013

I couldn't have said it better myself...

Now that the fog has lifted from the Labor Day Curse of 2013 (that's how we'll refer to the stomach bug that invaded our house this week...it's close enough to Labor Day to count for this year's curse!), I have been able to do something that I haven't done in awhile.  I have actually been sitting in a chair and reading a book for an HOUR.  My eyes aren't closing, no kids are asking for anything, and Allen is catching up on his sleep.  Our book club read a Maeve Binchy book, Echoes, around St. Patrick's Day so that we could say we did something Irish.  I really liked the book and wanted to read more by her, so I picked up Heart and Soul at the library a week or so ago.  It is so good that I haven't been able to put it down for an hour.  All of that led me to Google Maeve Binchy and see what else she had written.  I have heard of Circle of Friends because it was a pretty popular movie when I was in high school or college...I think college.  Other than that, though, I didn't know any of her books.  I love the way she writes and I wanted to read more about her, so I clicked on the section that told about her life and this is what I found:

 I was happy and confident. That was quite simply because I had a mother and a father at home who thought I was wonderful. They thought all their geese were swans. It was a gift greater than beauty or riches, the feeling that you were as fine as anyone else.

What a great way to describe how your parents felt about you growing up!  I hope our children know how much I truly love them and how I think that they are all so wonderful and precious and unique.  I must tell them every day 100 times that I love them but I hope they feel it as well as hear it.  Even this sweet baby moving around in my belly is such a precious gift that I will cherish for my whole life and I've never even met him!  What a better place the world would be if all parents loved their children this much and all children felt loved this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment