Monday, August 19, 2013

Let's get it started...

We are easing our way back into school this week with an official First Day of School being next Monday.  Rachel is so anxious to be able to say she is "in Kindergarten".  She even slid me a note out in the hall yesterday during rest time that said "already for school" (as in All Ready for School!).    She is so cute.  I told her that this week we'd review some things from last year, finish up her Bob books (which she did today!), and start getting back into a routine.
Here's what I've figured out so far for this year:
We are going to try to keep a regular routine (not necessarily schedule) every day.  I want everyone to eat breakfast, brush teeth, get dressed, potty, and make their beds by 8:45.  In that time, I'd also like to make sure that the dishwasher is emptied if necessary and the laundry is caught up if necessary.  That way around 8:45 we can actually start school.
I want to start with a Morning Meeting.  We practiced one this morning and it was so cute.  Ford kept wanting to tell me about what he did this summer.  Ruby kept wanting me to look at her baby doll.  Rachel had packed a school bag and just wanted to get to work!
Each hour of the day I want to try to accomplish a different subject for Rachel within the hour.  As in, from 9-10 we will try to get through reading and handwriting.  Also during that hour I want to get to handwriting with Ford.  I'm sure there will be many times I have to stop for Ruby within that hour, and that should allow time for her as well. (10-11 will be math for each of them, 11-12 Science and/or SS for Rachel, 12-lunch, 1-nap, 2-violin practice, 3-music for everyone, 4-Papa's home on MWF!!/Arts and crafts on T/TH, 5-dinner, 6-physical activity, 7-bath and bed).  When I look at it by the hour, I realize we have a LOT to do during the day!!!  I'm sure there are days that we won't get to Science and SS or music and we may finish everything by 10 if Ruby's in a particularly self-entertaining mood, so this is just a rough estimate!  We'll see how this goes and revamp as necessary.  I'm also trying to keep to a routine that we can maintain once there is a newborn to feed every two hours or so in January!
Rachel did a great job today with reviewing the days of the week, handwriting with the days, and place value with her math.  Ruby was awesome at sitting close to us and reading books to herself (as in calling out the names of the pictures, it was really cute).  Ford is soaking up all the train time he can get by himself before he has to get to work!  He and Ruby also spent some time playing with the math blocks which Ford can't wait to use.  I hope he's not completely disappointed when he realizes that they're not exactly for building boats and fireplaces like he did today!
We're going to be super busy around here, but I'm just taking the attitude of One Day at a Time and realizing that we won't ever get to everything every single day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment