Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Advent in Ingram School

Our kids know about Advent.  We have an advent "wreath" made of pottery and we are lighting a candle each Sunday.  We have an Advent calendar that Allen and I made together for Ford's first Christmas on which the kids take turns putting a different symbol of Christmas each day.  We also have an Advent calendar on the computer that Baba sends every year that has something new to do or look at every day.  Advent is about waiting and about being patient and that is such a hard thing for small children.  It is probably one of the best lessons I can teach them in school, but it is so hard.  We're talking about people who don't like to wait ten seconds for somebody else to climb into the car!       This is the third Advent season that I have been pregnant and it's a lesson in waiting for myself.  The kids are learning to be patient to open presents and decorate a tree (we wait to decorate until after Ruby's birthday on the 14th).  I am learning to be patient with my body.  Each pregnancy the aches and pains get a little more difficult, but each time I remember how they completely go away!  I have a hard time breathing, but I know that will be gone when Baxter is out.  I have a hard time walking, rolling over in bed, putting on shoes, but that, too will all be gone in a month or less!  I have a hard time waiting to meet this precious little boy and sharing him with his brother and sisters and father, but I know that there are many reasons for him to stay in and grow.  Most of all, though, I have a hard time waiting to see what our life will be like with our family complete.  Allen and I were pretty certain Ruby would be our last baby, but something just kept nagging us to try for a little brother for Ford.  It is unreal that this is actually going to happen.  I can't say 100% that Baxter will be the final Ingram baby, but we really have been given more than we could ever have dreamed of.  I spend so much of my time picturing our life in five years when we have hopefully sold this house and built our homestead in the country, when our kids can go exploring in the woods by themselves and I have the energy to make homemade bread and applesauce again.  When Allen can find a job that he loves and maybe even be able to do it from home.  Most of all, I think about being together, eating meals together, learning together, traveling together, and marching to our own beat together.  I think the hardest part of waiting is figuring out how to do these things together now with what we have and even though I want Baxter to be here so I can get my energy back and put more effort into this family and our school and our lives, I am willing to wait because what is four weeks in the grand scheme of things?  The kids will remember this season when we waited for Baxter and I think, like Christmas, the anticipation is just as fun as the actual event.  I hope Baxter is everything they want in a brother, a best friend, and more.  I know he will be our precious gift this year and a healthy baby is all I need.  He will definitely be worth waiting for!

1 comment:

  1. Now this about made me cry! You have such a beautifully made family, Carrie. What a blessing Baxter will be, not only to ya'll but to everyone else who loves the Ingrams. I sometimes get caught up in 'waiting' for a sibling for Webb but really, it's all about living in the moment and soaking up every minute we have with these precious children. I love ya'll so much and just think the world of you all. :)

    ReplyDelete