Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bear with me, I think I have a new approach

I have another blog.  I used it to keep track of our family life.  I got really bad at keeping it up to date.  I mean REALLY BAD.  I started this blog with the intention of keeping track of our school work and trying to keep the rest of our day out of it so that it wasn't so much anecdotal as it was a place for me to refer back to when each kid starts a new grade.  Well, let's face it...when you homeschool, life blends in with school and school blends in with life and sometimes it's just hard to separate the two.  I had made my other blog private which means no one ever reads it and those of you who do read this blog probably like the stories about our kids better than the curriculum or lesson plans!  So, in an effort to compromise, I'm going to just use this blog and throw in more personal reflections and stories outside of school work.  I really just want a place to go back and read what was happening in our lives when these kids were little.  So, without further ado...
Baxter...back up to his birthweight at his 2week check up.  Grown almost an inch.  All of wounds are healed so he took his first bath this morning!  Eats every two hours and sleeps most of the day.
Ruby...LOVES scissors and stickers.  I think she could cut and paste all day!!!  Need some quiet time?  Give her construction paper and her orange glitter stickers!  She still loves to throw a tantrum, wants to wear a costume at all times, and has recently become increasingly interested in brushing her hair!  We're slowly entering the world of writing capital letters.
Ford...ready for soccer, loves cutting if it means cutting out trains of different colors and pasting the parts together.  He is getting good at place value and writing.  He has become more curious about how to spell things and I'm wondering if he's close to trying to read....there may be Bob books in his near future!
Rachel...We're working very hard on subtraction and improving her handwriting (she can form the letters, but we're working on neatness).  She is doing really well on her violin.  She and Ford both start art classes next week.  We're exploring animals in science and I think I've decided to finish animals before starting Early Explorers in Social Studies...better to do them each well instead of trying to rush through both at the same time.  Today everybody picked an animal to learn more about and we'll also start talking about mammals, reptiles, birds, etc.  She will be SIX next week!  I can't even believe it!!!  We start Daisy Scouts back next week, so her social activities will really be picking up!
Papa...starting a new job soon!  Allen is switching to a different Middle School after he works his 30 day notice at his current school.  He will miss his students and some of the comforts of ths school, but the new school is more about the business of education rather than management and "getting-by".  I am so proud of him for leaving his comfort zone to go to a place where he will be treated as a professional and can teach what he loves.  He's still teaching 2 nights a week at a community college and he loves it.  Somehow he's still driving the same car for more than 6 months!!
Me...trying to manage all four kids and nursing every two hours.  We are doing surprisingly well and most days I can get in a little rest or tiny nap to make up for the lack of sleep at night.  I've been amazed how quickly this last 3 weeks has flown by and how quickly we've all adapted to a newborn in the house!  As long as we get some school work, some crafts, some imagination time, and possibly a dance party in every day, I feel like I'm doing my job!

Okay, that's my long winded update.  I'm going to try my best to get back to blogging more often and (shock!) maybe even adding a picture in every now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment