Wednesday, September 18, 2013

One more wild and crazy day

Hopefully we have made our run of all the appointments and such we need to take care for for awhile.  We've had to zoom through school work for the past couple of days and I'm ready tomorrow to buckle down and focus some more.  This morning we had to be out the door at 8:45, so we did a quick round of math review and handwriting and Rachel did some reading.  I guess you could say we're sticking to the three Rs before we go on with our day.  At 9:00 poor Ford didn't know what was coming.  On the way to the doctor's office, I told him that we didn't quite finish with his check up last time and they had called to ask us to come back.  He was so excited to go back just for him and to get some Thomas stickers, so I didn't have the heart to tell him why we were going.  Ms. Sarah came in and asked me the bajillion questions they have to ask before giving vaccinations and one of them was, "Is he allergic to anything?" I said no and then she mentioned the word shot (I can't quite remember what that question was), and Ford piped up, "I am definitely allergic to shots!"  At that point he started to catch on.  However, we read a Thomas book while she went to prepare everything and it talked about Thomas being a brave little engine, so he was quite a brave little engine.  He laid down for her and was fine when she cleaned his legs and seemed to understand what was coming...he just didn't realize how bad it would be until she actually stuck the needles in his legs.  Poor guy.  He hasn't screamed that much in a long time.  Luckily, they have condensed the four shots down to two, so it was over pretty quickly.  I think he had his feelings hurt more than anything, but he calmed down when I told him I'd carry him out and we could stop and get a Thomas sticker.  He did such a great job!!  When we left, I told him I'd take him for a smoothie for a snack today since he did so well and since the girls were so well behaved while we waited.  In the car Rachel said, "Next time I need shots, don't tell me until we get there.  That went much better than when I had shots!"  I couldn't agree more.  That girl worried for a week and then refused to lay down and then screamed and convulsed and threw a fit and she had to be still for four shots.  It was a nightmare!!  So, all in all, this was a much better experience!!  Now we just wait a little over a year until it's Ruby's turn...they may have to put her in restraints!  Of course, by then, it may come in a mist, who knows!!
Anyway, after our snack at the coffee house, we swung by the education store, then went to story time (where Rachel completed her assignment to find some mystery books and Ford made sure they had ordered the new Thomas movie for him!), went by church to drop off some things for the festival this weekend, came home and ate lunch, took a nap, and went outside until dinner.
Tomorrow we'll begin decorating for our Autumnal Equinox celebration!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment