Tuesday, September 3, 2013

So-so school and Soccer Madness

Nothing overly exciting happened during our school time today.  I guess the biggest news is that Ruby actually "worked" the whole time Ford and Rachel were doing handwriting and math.  She actually kept herself entertained at the table with us!  Rachel and I had a hard time connecting today on things.  She kept getting confused about weather and climate and I finally said, "We'll try again tomorrow."  Then I introduced the word fiction to her and we talked about books that have made up characters and TV shows that are made up.  I asked her to write a short (as in three sentences) fictional story.  Holy Cannoli!  She could not think of a thing to make up.  She ended up writing about a girl named Rachel who had a nature class and her class did leaf rubbings and then took them all home.  Did I mention that tomorrow she's actually "teaching" a nature class and having the kids do leaf rubbings and then they can take them home?  Well, it hasn't happened yet, so technically it was fiction!  We've got to work on her creativity!!
We went to story time today and Ruby actually participated today and let Mr. Drew (the new guy) stamp both of her hands.  We're making progress!  It's so funny how the most outgoing girl in the house (and she's got some competition!) goes into a shell around new people.  I keep telling Mr. Drew that one day he'll wish she was shy and quiet again because he won't be able to get a word in!!
I have to say the most exciting event of the day, today, though, was Ford's first day at soccer!  Just to give you a little background info...we tried to send Ford to preschool when he was 2.  It did not go well.  He went twice and I gave up.  Rachel made such an easy transition into preschool.  She had some tears every now and then, but she loved school and she loved her teachers, so she made it through the day.  Ford, however, literally hyperventilated for 2 hours both times he tried to go to preschool.  Poor Ms. Karen, his teacher, would carry him around and he would cry and cry.  She probably weighed about 60 pounds to his 30 pounds so it was interesting to see (I peeked at them through the window onto the playground one day and she walked around with him the whole time.)  It broke my heart and I just didn't see any reason to keep trying that when there was no need for preschool at the time.  So, when Ford said he wanted to sign up for soccer, I was a little apprehensive.  I was very excited that he wanted to do something on his own and that he would be around other kids his age, but I just wasn't sure that he'd actually go through with it.  He was so excited tonight with his cleats and his little bitty shin guards and his tall blue socks.  We got to the soccer field and went right out there with Coach Greg and kicked that ball like a champ.  He jogged around the field, he stopped the ball with his foot, he even kicked the ball into play when it was his turn.  I'm not sure he would have even known I was still there if it weren't for the fact that I had his water bottle and it was HOT so I got to see him a couple of times for water breaks.  He was so proud of himself and I was so proud of him.  Even Rachel wanted to take pictures and videos of him because she was so impressed!  He answered the coach's questions and made my heart swell.  He is definitely turning the corner on his neediness and I love that he's feeling some independence.  It just makes me a little sad that he might not live in our basement forever like Allen and I thought...

1 comment:

  1. I am proud of Mr. Ford! YAY! Webb goes for his first official day of preschool in the morning! Our babies are growing up! :) Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete