Thursday, May 2, 2013

Finishing up our stories

We finished our books today and they are pretty hilarious!  Ford just yesterday started playing with a blue football that he's had his whole life.  He told me he was dribbling it across the floor.  I thought, "How European of him to play futbal with a football!"  Then this morning he and Allen played catch with the football.  So, of course, on his page of What I Want to be When I Grow Up, he said he wants to be a football player!  Ruby wants to be a ballerina and Rachel wants to be a librarian.  Then for the final page I had them tell me a story of something they've done this year.  They told it and I wrote it all down.  Ford's story was called "My Blue Football", Ruby's story was called "My Trip to the Beach", and Rachel's story was called "My Trip to the Zoo".  Ford's was pretty funny and ended with "that's all I have to say the end."  Ruby mentioned splashing in the water about 100 times and not really anything else about the beach.  Rachel told about the giraffes at the zoo, but she did not want to talk about any of the other animals!
For handwriting today, I let Ford practice the word football and then the word soccer.  Now he wants to play soccer...  Rachel's been practicing writing the date out every day like Thursday, May 2, 2013.  I also had her write "I want to be a librarian." in her book.  I think it's time to start working on sentences.  She loves to add punctuation.  We're just going to do our own handwriting practice until the Fall at which time I will start the 1st grade book with her.  I see no need to rush into that!  I also had Rachel do some practice math problems that I made up for her.  I don't want her to rush too much through the math book either.  It's going to get harder and harder and I want to take it slow to make sure she's really learning the concepts.  I think we'll ease our way through the summer and then it will be officially Kindergarten for Rachel in the Fall and more intense work for Ford.  Ruby will still just be going with the flow, but she's good at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment