Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pick Your Own

We've been doing our own things today.  Ford wanted to draw, so while we were getting things out, everyone else wanted to draw.  Ruby wanted to read stories, so as we were reading a story, everyone else came over and wanted a story read.  Rachel wanted to whine and push and get in everybody's way...yep, Ruby and Ford decided to do the same.  So, once we got some math done (I couldn't believe how quickly Rachel caught on to +9s!!), and a little handwriting done, we went for a walk to get some fresh air.  We stopped in Vanessa's yard for a little while to swing (she was on her way out to Winston when we were coming around the corner).  While we were swinging, Rachel decided she wanted to pick strawberries.  Then Ford decided he really wanted to pick strawberries.  Ruby just wanted to eat the strawberries.  I wasn't sure I could tackle strawberry picking on my own, so I called Ms. Lisa but she didn't answer.  Then I called Baba, but she didn't answer.  So, I told the kids we could walk home and call the strawberry place and see if they even have strawberries.  While I was trying to call everyone was being extremely obnoxious, so I told them that the strawberry place didn't answer (which is true, but the message said they were open and there were strawberries still available).  Once I got them to listen and help clean up and change their moods, I told them that we'd drive out to the strawberry place and see what happened.  It was absolutely the best thing we've done in awhile.  Everyone was so well-behaved and worked together and we had a gallon bucket filled in no time!  Ford is the official "bucket holder" for strawberry picking.  The kids who loves dirt and mud decided that strawberry picking was too messy and sticky for him.  I can't tell you how many times Rachel said, "I love to pick strawberries." and Ford said, "Strawberry picking (or bucket holding actually) is my favorite thing."  Ruby kept finding the cutest little berries and putting them in the bucket.  We made a deal that if they didn't eat any berries while we were picking, they could have as many as they wanted for lunch.  Not one berry went in anyone's mouth, so we ate a TON of strawberries for lunch today with some toasted English Muffins.  It was an awesome lunch and turned out to be an awesome way to spend what could have been a miserable whiney morning!

1 comment: