Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Reading and Recitals (Tuesday's post)

I got a little behind yesterday, so I'm going to post twice today.  We have been doing TONS of reading around here.  Rachel and I are both determined that she will be a reader by the end of the summer.  We have lots of great resources from Ms. Lisa including Dick and Jane books that I am shocked to see how well they work!  I see why they've been used forever to help kids learn to read.  Rachel loves reading them and the repetition helps her recognize words so well.  We also discovered the BOB books from Ms. Lisa but there were some pieces missing.  Now we have three whole sets and will move to those next after we get through with Dick and Jane (and Sally).  As a family, we've also been working our way through the Rainbow Magic Fairy series.  It's amazing how well our kids sit still to hear these stories.  They are chapter books,  but they will sit still for the entire book just to find out how crazy the goblins are!  Each series has 7 stories and we finish the whole series in 3 or 4 days with no problem.  I don't know what we'll move to after that!

We went to story time yesterday for the last time for this school year.  I talked Rachel into taking her violin to play for everyone because Ms. Dare and Mr. Jason have both asked her to play.  I thought it would be good practice for her recital last night since she's never played in front of a crowd.  She did great and realized it wasn't too big of a deal to play in front of people.  Last night she played every note perfectly at her recital, but she looked terrified sitting there and waiting her turn.  I thought she'd be one of the first ones to go, but she was almost at the end.  I'm glad we did a trial run at story time!  She was so cute and so grown up at the same time playing her violin so well in front of everyone.  I was super proud!!

No comments:

Post a Comment