Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Where We're Headed this summer

We are almost on cruise control for the summer.  Allen finished up work today and will be around a lot more, so there should be lots of P.E.!! and maybe a little Science and Social Studies here and there???
I want to finish up one more math lesson with Rachel in her Math-U-See book.  She needs to do the Plus 8s and then she will be ready for her first big unit test.  I think after that, we'll take a little break from math (at least from doing it more than a couple of days a week to review).  I don't really want to start anything else new there for a few weeks, just to give her a break.  I don't want to stop her reading progress because my goodness! she is zooming through these Bob books.  I definitely think we will make it through at least two boxes, if not all three, by the end of July.  For Fall, I am going to order her the Handwriting Without Tears for 1st grade and for Ford get the preschool book again (we tried it once, but he wasn't ready, he is TOTALLY ready now!).  Ruby likes using the wood pieces to make letters, so I think when we do handwriting in the Fall, she can do that while everyone else is working in the book.  I also want to order the Primer for Ford for Math-U-See as well as his own set of blocks.  The program works with only one set of blocks, so they could share, but I think it will just be better to have two sets and it makes the clock easier, too!  He's excited to start doing things that Rachel has already learned.  I think for the rest of the summer, he's going to focus on drawing his trains and writing his letters.  He's been doing some crazy art work lately where he'll just draw boxes and start putting numbers in them or sit down and try to write all of the letters in the alphabet.  He's extremely interested in writing now which he was not before, so we'll just keep practicing!  Ruby's starting to use her right hand less and less, so I think by the end of the summer, we'll know for sure that she's a Lefty...no need to fight it, it is what it is.
I feel sure that we will make a few zoo trips this summer (maybe one this week?), we have an awesome week lined up at the beach with Amanda, Chris, and Webb in July, and we still have to celebrate a 4 year-old boy and a 33 year-old Papa over the next few weeks as well as Father's Day.  Summer will come and go before we can blink.  I know I will be ready for that cool weather and a schedule again by the time August rolls around, so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment