Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Corrections

     As parents, we constantly have to correct and redirect and make sure that we do this without sending everyone into a temper tantrum or a crying fit.  Just so you know, around here, Ford and Rachel are most prone to crying if they do something wrong and Ruby, well, she's Ruby.  There are times, though, when I think it's cuter not to correct things they say because I love the way they say them.  Two things in particular I hope I never forget our children saying.  One comes from Ford who always refers to the afternoon as afternaptime.  Such as, "This afternaptime, what are we doing?"  Super cute!  And depending on what question she's answering, Ruby is so cute to say "I can't know." instead of "I don't know."  As in, Ruby where are your shoes?  "I can't know."  I think it's a combination of the words and the look on her face when she says it that just make me laugh every time unless I ask her something like, "Ruby, did you break this?"  Then when she answers, "I can't know." we have a problem!
     We are having our spring celebration dinner tonight and I was afraid I was going to have to correct the weather, but the sun decided to finally poke its head out and grace us with its presence for our welcoming of Spring.  This morning we made placemats with bunnies and eggs and chicks and flowers on them.  We just used construction paper and colored them with markers, then covered them with packaging tape so that they don't get ruined when someone spills something.  Rachel found some pieces from our wooden workshop of different colors and built a really cool flower on the dinner table all on her own.  Then we took some flowers, bunnies, and spring-colored scarves and decorated the light fixture above the table.  Rachel and I have decided we are party-talent fairies!!
     We've had a really cool morning of just hanging out here together and having a great time.  It's so nice not to rush around and have to load and unload the car over and over.  Rachel did her math work while Ruby and Ford worked on puzzles on the floor next to her.  We got an egg carton out and numbered the bottom of each egg space 1-18 (we get the big carton!) and put it up on the wall under the number 18.  Ford counted from 0-20 TWICE without missing a beat!  Rachel read an Olivia book outloud to us and was able to read most of the words on her own.  Ruby did so many puzzles today and would sit and talk to herself about each piece.  "This is a circle...Mama, what's this shape?  I can't know."  "It's a circle, Ruby."  "OK."

No comments:

Post a Comment