Thursday, February 7, 2013

Finding a new place

In a small town like ours there aren't many choices.  Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.  We discovered a new place today that I knew existed but never sought out because I thought what we had was good.  Usually we go to story time once a week at our library in town.  It never occurred to me that the libraries out in the county might have children's rooms or story times.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I love our city library and the people who run story time, but we discovered some exciting stuff today.  Allen has a meeting in Greensboro this afternoon, so he took the day off work.  He needed a DVD for his graduate class that is only available at one of the county libraries, so we decided to take a family adventure out together and see what another library was like.  The children's room there is AMAZING!  Ford sat down in the Thomas section, Rachel couldn't decide between the Fancy Nancy section and the learning to read section.  Oh, and the picture dictionary section and the Disney section.  Oh, and did I mention the Eric Carle section?  That girl loves to read!  Ruby found some Dora books and puzzles and all kinds of books that she just wanted to pull off the shelf.  Everything was so well organized and labeled so well, I was kind of afraid to let Ruby near the shelves!!  She has a bad habit of just sitting beside a shelf and taking every book off and reading them one at a time until someone stops her!  I think it's actually kind of cute and don't mind putting all the books back, but at this library they'd have to go back a little nicer than what we're used to!  They also had up a sign that said they are going to have Fancy Nancy Tea Party in a couple of weeks.  I so wish I could take Rachel to that, but it would be cutting it close after violin lessons.  We'll see....  It was just nice to see a room that was so kid-friendly and put together so well.  I have to think that story time there would be pretty cool, so we may go try it next week (it's at the same time we go in town).  It's definitely a little bit of a drive, but when the content is better, I think it's worth it!
With Allen home this morning, we didn't get to have our regular routine, but I did get some extra cleaning done, so that was extremely helpful.  You just never know when someone might want to look at our house.  Seriously, someone come look at our house!!!!
Allen left after we had an early lunch and then we were able to get some math and writing in for the day.  I think we've definitely covered reading this morning!!  Rachel made a cool discovery while crossing yesterday off her calendar.  She was trying to read the year 2013 and told me that there was a 20 in the hundreds place.  When I told her that there was actually a zero in the hundreds place and a 2 in the thousands place, her eyes got so wide.  She said, "We are already in the 2000 year????"  Quite a discovery for a five year old!!  Let's just say, she found a new place today, too :)
Everyone is resting or sleeping now and when we all get up, it will be time for Ford's second art lesson and then we are taking snacks to the GRACE Girls.  Luckily, the GRACE Girls meet right outside of the room where Ford has art!  I think since Rachel's violin lesson was switched, I might take the girls up to the girly boutique down the street and spare Ford from that trip!!  Maybe Ruby will find a new place, too!

1 comment: