Monday, February 25, 2013

Skipping on Past the Weekend with F Words

The middle school teacher in me just can't help but giggle a little when I ask the kids if they can help me find more F words....we're doing the letter F this week all together because it's one of the easiest letters to write and it's the beginning of Ford's name.  So far, in our F Bowl on the table, we have a Fork, Fairy wings, Flowers, Five, and some upper case Fs we made today.  I cut strips for Ruby, but Ford and Rachel cut their own big lines and little lines and pasted the lines together to make an F.  Ford loves to cut, so he was excited!  Ruby loves to paste, so she was excited!  Rachel did her math work while they cut and pasted and then did her own F without any instructions or help...such a grown up!  We all drew upper case Fs on their slates (even Ruby!) and I tried to help Ford with a lower case f...not-so-much, but he'll get there one day.  I'm just glad he's doing so well with his upper case letters these days.
We read a few books about farms and a Franklin book.  Ford wished we had a Flynn the fire engine book, but it had been returned to the library.  At least he got the point!  Now he keeps saying, "When are we doing a T bowl?  I can put in Thomas and Terrence and Tidmouth Sheds....."  My main point of doing a letter this week was to make sure that we all know what sounds the letters make and Ford definitely caught on quickly.  Now if I can just reel him back in to F, not T for Thomas or S for Spencer or "Hey, Mama, what does Hiro start with?  He can go in a bowl!"  That would be H for Hysterical!
We took a little Field trip this morning out to our favorite new library and got a gazillion books!  I found several rhyming books for early readers for Rachel to work on.  Ford found a Thomas words book that is pretty cool to identify parts of the train.  Ruby wanted to bring home every single book and then put them all back before we left.  She is totally in Wishy-Washy land!!
I was hoping it was going to warm up enough to play outside today, but I don't think that's going to happen.  We had an awesome time playing outside yesterday with Papa.  Our backyard is pretty fun when everyone's getting along and enjoying their time.  I try to stop myself from only thinking about the future, but I really can't wait to have a yard that we've planned and a swing-set that we've built and places that they feel belong to them where they can explore and imagine and create.  Allen built them an awesome Fort inside this weekend that we all fit into and I hated to take it down, but once again, I just worry that the phone will ring and someone will want to look at our house and how in the world will I get all of that put away and the house cleaned up in time to show this house and get it SOLD?!?!?!  Anyway, just waiting on that one person to decide he/she needs this house.  Come on and buy it!!!  We're ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment