Tuesday, February 5, 2013

This too shall pass...

I feel like I need to write a separate post about Ruby's day.  She is absolutely going through the terrible twos stage.  She becomes so easily frustrated when she wants something she can't have or doesn't understand why she can't do something.  She and I argued, fussed, and fought today about everything from using the potty to getting buckled into her car seat to whether or not she could have more than one piece of chalk.  At one point, I was trying to quickly move the laundry from the washer to the dryer so we could get on with things when she was standing behind me in the laundry room and screaming at the top of her lungs.  I honestly don't even remember now why she was upset, but I clearly remember thinking, "I'm going to just let her scream until I get finished because she's going to stop eventually."  Some days I get so frustrated that I just walk out of the room while she's screaming and some days I scream back at her, but today I just kept thinking, "This too shall pass...."  And the more I thought that, the less frustrating her tantrums became.  We are never going to have a perfect day and no one is ever going to get everything they want.  I'm just working really hard to make sure that I don't get angry with the people in the house who aren't throwing the tantrums and I really don't want to get angry with whoever IS throwing the tantrum.  It all goes back to the fact that these kids are 2, 3, and 5 and when they're tired, hungry, or frustrated, we're going to have a hard time, but we work through it and I try my best to find a distraction, but ultimately the only behavior I can 100% control is my own.  I'm going to do my best to keep my cool and remember that these tantrums shall pass....

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I am hearing you on this one. Lord help our two year olds who don't get what they want! It WILL pass! :)

    ReplyDelete