Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Forward Rolls

Let's just all move on past yesterday's post where I was clearly still in a fog from the crazy weekend!
Today we had a much more normal day (if there is such a thing around here!).  We were able to get some chores done like laundry and cleaning rooms and vacuuming before we started our school work.  I love that all three kids can now play together on their own and come up with games to play while I get something done even if it's only for 5 or 10 minutes.  It's so cute to listen to them while I'm in another room.  Ruby wanted to make a bridge in the living room which means we took all the cushions off the couch and put them on the hearth so she could climb between the chair and the now cushionless couch.  Rachel and Ford were playing with the "Little Thomas Trains" and saw that Ruby was playing on the bridge.  I was drying my hair so I couldn't hear them but I could see what they were doing and it was cracking me up.  Rachel was trying her best to get the trains to slide down the side of the bridge, however, the bridge is flat and the trains have no wheels, so she was getting very frustrated!  Ruby was climbing up on the chair and jumping down onto the bridge and laughing hysterically.  All of this was going on while Ford was talking non-stop and when I turned off the hair dryer I caught the end of "This Episode of Thomas..."  I can only imagine what Henry and James and Percy were doing....
Like I said yesterday, we are working without a theme this week.  The ladybug didn't make it to the end of nap time, as in, she has disappeared, so ladybugs were out.  I thought about talking about the circus because that is what story time was about today, but we've never been to the circus, so that can wait for another time.  I thought I'd see what kind of books they were into today, but we ended up with more fairy books and I just can't make everything be about fairies and Thomas for goodness sake!!!  Anyway, Rachel started a new math lesson this morning, so we watched her friend, Mr. Steve for a couple of minutes and did her work.  Then she practiced writing periods, question marks, and exclamation points and even wrote a few sentences!  It is beginning to look like Kindergarten for real!!  Ford practiced writing his full name and I was shocked that he did a G without any help!  Strangely, though, he had a lot of trouble with a capital I for Ingram....we'll get there.  Ruby worked on the shape puzzle today and told me on her own which shape was the Hexagon...made her Mama proud :)  So, I guess we're just working on some basics this week and that's fine with me.  We're planning to have some art time with Ms. Vanessa tomorrow and I think we're just going to let everyone make whatever they want to make and use whatever they want to use.  Sometimes it's fun to just be creative and sometimes you need more direction, so I'll try to have a couple of ideas in my head when Rachel tells me she doesn't know what to do!  I'm not worried about Ford, he'll make Thomas.  And Ruby will just make a mess, but have a blast!
Oh, and story time!  Big news!  Mr. Jason had set up a circus at the library and you got a ticket to go in and everything.  He read a couple of books and at one point was talking about acrobats.  He asked if anybody could do any cartwheels or somersaults and Ford actually walked up to the front and did a forward roll in front of everyone.  I was so proud of him.  Last summer he wouldn't even talk to anyone in the library and now he's doing tricks!  As much as I want to go try out that other library, I just don't think I can take him away from the comfort zone of this library, so maybe we'll just make a trip out there to check out books some day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment